12826847

A relative was found guilty of theft (we believe a miscarriage

A relative was found guilty of theft (we believe a miscarriage of justice) the daughter of the plaintiff then contacted a journalist and gave their story( inaccurately as it turned out). My real active has not been sentenced yet and there were no reporters in court on the day. Is such a one sided story allowes
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What was the inaccuracy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plaintiff lied 4 times in court and changed parts of her police statement 3 times and said the police must have written it down wrong and the lead magistrate said she was a credible witness
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So what is the inaccuracy that they are printing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That the relative stole £3,000 money the plaintiff had received but her daughter is looking after it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also in court the lead magistrate said the relative must pay back £1,600. Why are they allowed to print such distortions. As I said the reporter did not attend the trial but has reported based on what the plaintiff's daughter told her
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, the fact that the compensation order was £1600 doesn't mean the sum of the indictment wasn't £3k.They can print the story as it is given to them by their source. They can be liable in defamation but if it is just an inaccuracy then that does not amount to defamation.You could ask them to correct any inaccuracy and they do sometimes.On your primary point though, they don't have to make contact with both sides before they print a story.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just why they would'n't ask for the amount the relative allegedly stole. And please explain " a credible witness "
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, probably because they are lazy. That does tend to be the issue with modern jouralism.A credible witness is one that the Court believes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You had to be in court to hear her and the evidence. Thank you. I won't waste any more of your time
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I know what Magistrates are like. They don't enjoy the best reputation and they deserve the reputation they have.You can always appeal to the Crown Court.If he was contesting this then it should have been proper trial before a jury.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the relative was advised that if they went to the crown court and were found guilty the sentence would be higher. Personally I did'n't think the defence solicitor did a very good job in court. You are also right about magistrates, professionally unqualified in the law. There are countless people in jail having been wrongly convicted. But it seems justice is only for the people who can afford powerful lawyers. Thank you once again
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is right but if you are fighting something then you are hoping to be acquitted. But you do take a risk.Anybody who wants to be a magistrate should be automatically disqualified. They are, almost universally, a waste of space.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm so glad you feel as I do. The family just don't feel that they listened to the same evidence we did. It felt as though they had been switched between going out to deliberate and coming back to announce their verdict
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They are well know for delivering convictions but giving everybody light sentences. No problem and all the best. Please remember to rate my answer. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.