12826847

Last year a friend of my son stayed with us few months.

Customer Question

Last year a friend of my son stayed with us for a few months. He moved back with his partner and children at the beginning of November 2015. On Friday 5 February I received through my door a notice from a debt collecting agency that someone had called and the next time they would not give notice but repossess goods to the value of £1600. I have made several phone calls and emailed a few times with the documents they have requested but they have not responded with any reassurance that my address has been removed from the case. I am worrying myself sick and understand that they cannot discuss the case with me but surely they can confirm that I am no longer in danger of being penalised for taking this person in. What can I do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, what documents did they ant you to send? Was it to prove the person no longer resides there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I sent a copy of my mortgage statement and the elctoral role registration from the local council. I pay all utilities on line and don't have a tenancy agreement.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is this a debt collector or a bailiff?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the Marston Group, I think they are a debt collecting agency although the letter sounded as if from a bailiff, they are acting on behalf of HMCTS. They used the words Enforcement Agent.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
OK. If it genuinely is HMCTS then they are a different entity entirely.Truth is that they probably haven't removed your address from the case. They will pursue him at the address you have provided for him but if that is fuitless they may well return.Either way though, it really doesn't matter because they can only seize items that belong to him. They won't have any interest in what is in the house. Their game will be to seize a vehicle and unless your vehicle is registered to him or was owned by him at one time there is nothing to worry about.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The worrying thing is I don't have an address for him but I can ask my son to contact him (although they no longer work together either. I know they have two cars and have booked a holiday and just got engaged. Talk of rubbing it in. Thank you for your help, although I'm not sure it was worth £47.00.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Good luck.