29905560

I jokingly set up a carpet cleaners association and its now

I jokingly set up a carpet cleaners association and its now taken off big time so i would like to turn it into a business, can i keep the name? (the approved carpet cleaners association) (which has the word "association" in the business) or would i have to ditch it due to rules and regulations of use of said word.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you mean you wish to create a company and keep the name?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. i wish to set it up as a" and run it as a business similar to checkatrade.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i wish to set it up as a business called "the approved carpet cleaners association" and run it as a business similar to checkatrade.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
If you wanted to create a company which had the word ‘association’ in it, then you will be bound by some strict rules from Companies House. That is because they treat it as a sensitive word which suggests special status and not everyone can use it. Companies’ House own document dealing with Incorporation and Names (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/418150/GP1_Incorporation_names_v5_4-ver0.29-4.pdf ) states that to use the word ‘association’ in a name the following must be satisfied: “To use this word in your proposed name the company should normally be limited by guarantee. The articles of association should include objects that reflect the specific purpose of the company and a non-profit distribution clause, which provides that any profits should be used to further the objects of the company and not paid to the members as dividends. The articles should also include a one member one vote clause. These requirements do not apply if the company is a residents or tenants association.” So unless you are able to meet these criteria, Companies house is likely to reject your application to include the word ‘association’ when setting up your company name. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So does that mean the word associates as well or could i call the company "The approved carpet cleaners associates" ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
That would be better as it is not listed as a sensitive name. It is the exact word association which will be treated in a sensitive manner, not associates. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you