How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 47343
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I was convicted of a drink driving offence 11/7/14 DR10 12

Resolved Question:

I was convicted of a drink driving offence 11/7/14 DR10 12 month suspension fine £305
IN10 Fine £100. Licence returned runs from 29/9/15 - 28/9/16 as classed as high risk offender due to level of alchohol. Have to reapply June 2016. When applying for jobs am I correct in assuming this has to be declared as an unspent conviction? And if so how long does this apply?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is the specific question you have been asked in terms of declaring offences?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On application forms for employment am frequently asked to declare any criminal convictions spent or unspent.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
When you are disqualified from driving, the offence becomes spent at the end of the disqualification period. So if you were disqualified for 12 months, the disqualification becomes spent once that 12 months has expired. However, if you received anything else as part of your punishment, such as a fine, that will have its own rehabilitation period and it is the longest overall rehabilitation period which will dictate when the offence officially becomes spent. A fine becomes spent a year after the offence too so in your case you received a 12 month disqualification and two fines so all have a rehabilitation period of 12 months, which means they will become sent a year after conviction. Until then you must treat them as an unspent conviction. After that period they will be treated as spent. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had thought that once the ban was over it was no longer relevant but I fear that I was misguided in this assumption. So unless asked for unspent convictions I do not need to declare it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that was meant to read spent convictions.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct. Technically you should not be asked for spent convictions unless it is an exempt position, which you would be told of at time of application
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much Ben that has made it so much clearer for me. I will leave my recommendation.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** best
Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you