Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have a commercial Lease with the Canal and River Trust for

I have a commercial Lease with the Canal and River Trust for moorings. It is a 9 year lease and I want to know what would happen if I died. Would it automatically transfer to the beneficiaries of my Estate?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Upon your death, the commercial lease will endure for the benefit of your estate fur its existing duration. Accordingly, if there was three years left of a nine year lease, then your estate would have the benefit of the lease for those three years. In your will you should state who is going to be the successor in title for your lease, because, then that person can serve a section 26 notice under the Landlord & Tenant Act, 1954, for the continuation of the lease in their favour. This will then ensure that one of your successors in title gets to continue the moorings lease with the Canal & River Trust. However, even if you die without a will, your successors in title would have the right to continue the lease.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.