Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I bought a car privatly. With in a week it has gone wrong.

I bought a car privatly. With in a week it has gone wrong. I have looked at its MOT history an the mileage has been wond back? I want to take it back an get my money back . Where do I stand .
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How much did you pay for the car? What exactly has gone wrong with it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£3000. It is the crankshaft. Will cost around £1000 to repair. But I have looked at previous MOT 's an I bought the car on the understanding that it had done 83,000 miles but it infact has done nearly double that. It has been clocked !
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
If you can prove the mileage has been clocked you may have a claim against the seller for misrepresentation. There is no claim under the Sale of Goods Act because the seller in such cases has to be a business; private sales is not covered by this law. Misrepresentation is a breach of contract. You need to write to the seller to explain the problem and ask for a full refund within 14 days. You will need to send any mechanics report that you have. If the seller doesn't refund, you can start a County Court claim against him. This can be done online via the Ministry of Justice portal - MoneyClaim Online. If the court finds in your favour and you get judgment against the seller you can then enforce it by sending bailiffs to seize his property, taking money from his bank account or his wages or even by putting a charge on his house.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Can I assist you any further with this matter? If not please remember to rate my answer otherwise I will not be paid for my time.