Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I've been rented my house that I'd previously lived in

Customer Question

Hello I've been rented my house that I'd previously lived in for around 9 years my rental period outside this nine years is two years and two months will I be liable for capital gains tax if I wish to sell my house in June of this year I purchased the house for £109.995 and will expect around £225,000 on sale could you help with this matter many thanks mr hay
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Clinton, you will get principal private residence relief upon nine-elevenths of your gain plus the last 18 months when you rented out your house. This means you will get principal private residence relief upon 95.5% of your gain. Accordingly, if your taxable gain is £115,005, then you will get private residence relief upon 95.5% of that. About £109,000 of the gain. So you will be able to claim your annual allowance of £11,000 on the remainder so thereby reducing your tax to zero. Here is a link to the page in the Government website which sets out how to calculate your private residence relief when you have rented out your house for a period of its occupancy https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home/let-out-part-of-home
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question so there is no incentive to answer any further Questions.