How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10525
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I currently have a Nigerian passport with an indefinate

Resolved Question:

Hi I currently have a Nigerian passport with an indefinate leave to remain and my wife has a uk travel document and we both want to apply for a british citizenship. What is the process we haven't done anything yet?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Can you better explain the situation. How long have you been living in the UK on a valid visa which allows you to work? How long has your wife being living in the UK on a valid visa which allows her to live and work in the UK? What type of UK travel document has your wife? How long since you got indefinite leave to remain? Does your wife have indefinite leave to remain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,We have both lived in the uk for over 16years. I've had an indefinte leave to remain 11th of January 2001, my date of birth is 07/06/89. My wife has the United kingdom of great britain and nothern ireland travel document convention of 28 July 1951. We both work fulltime and we've been in uk for over 16years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Dear Funsho, you are eligible to apply for Uk citizenship as you have lived in the UK for more than one year with no limit on you living in the UK. Essentially, after one year of indefinite leave to remain you were eligible to apply for UK citizenship. Here is a link to the form you will in together with instructions on how to fill out the form., your wife is also eligible to apply for UK citizenship and she should also make an application using the same form. Be aware that your children, if you have any, will also be eligible to apply for UK citizenship, if they have been living for six years in the UK.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Dear Funsho, you will have to await another Expert answering your Phone Call as I am unable to provide you with that service. However, please Rate the Answer to this question and you will have your phone call REquest fulfilled.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we fill on this form together or does it have to be done seperatly?Also do we have a take a life in the uk test? We don't have any children.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. Dear Funsho, you should fill in separate forms as you each have a different basis upon which to apply for UK citizenship. Secondly, a Life in the UK test is part of the application. However, as you have lived in the UK FOR so long, most the issues will be very familiar for you, as it is not designed to trick you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant! You've been very helpful. Also I went to court for a minor crime in 2005. As I was a minor it was just a slap in the wrist. Do you I have to put it on the application as a conviction? Final question promise :)
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
5. Dear Funsho, a minor offence is not necessary to be disclosed as part of the application process for citizenship. However, you should disclose it in the interests of transparency. However, it will not affect your citizenship application as the view is taken that convictions for minor offences won't affect a citizenship application.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you