How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am in the process of divorce to a Chinese woman I married

Customer Question

I am in the process of divorce to a Chinese woman I married in China in 2009. One of the reasons is that she leaves the marital home for periods of up to three weeks regularly. I know she visits all parts of UK and Portadown Northern Ireland. She will not tell me what she does or who she works for. Only that I should not know and her Chinese associates are bad men who do not like the English. I have been subject to 999 calls accusing GBH which have been untrue. Does this fit in with other cases where the marriage took place to obtain English residency. Because of threats of violence I have lost the ability to occupy my own house. I am represented by an English solicitor in Milton Keynes Tony Hird aged 72
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. One route to obtain indefinite leave to remain is to prove domestic violence - if you agree to a caution or are convicted of a domestic violence offence then this will be used by her to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK, and it is not unheard of for spouses to allege this or obtain non-molestation orders/injunctions in order to apply under this ground. Why have you lost the ability to occupy your home? Do you both have assets as you will need to come to a financial settlement as a divorce itself does not sever the ability of either of you to pursue financial relief from the other. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.