12826847

We have a family run garage that we have decided to close by

Customer Question

We have a family run garage that we have decided to close by end of April. Our 1 full time employee has had his 12 weeks notice for redundancy etc and his last date with us is 29th April with garage closing 1st May. We obviously told him reason for closure ( being father in law who owned it passed away last year and we do not want to carry on) but asked that he keeps it confidential until we can inform our customers which will be at end of March. This employee will leave us to be a mobile mechanic for himself but we have just found out that other business contacts have had this individual talking to them saying that we are closing due to money problems, going bankrupt and basically having to close. This is totally untrue and he has breached about not talking to people as we asked and now saying defamatory comments about us which are untrue. Therefore, where do we stand ? Is this gross misconduct? And if found to be true can he be dismissed and does the redundancy package still stand/ apply?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What is it you would like to achieve please?Alex