75100385

I want to create a project on a crowd funded website to build

I want to create a project on a crowd funded website to build a life size millennium falcon. The ship will be a replica and not totally identical to the original ship. The Millenium falcon has not actually been built as a full scale ship just sections as movie props. Is this ok as its a recreation but not an exact copy?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realise intellectual Property is a specialist area. Please continue to searchThankyou
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What will the Millenium Falcon be used for?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
07980 870351Not available until Wednesday AM thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - you would need to either accept the telephone call service or we can just keep it online.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent a link to the proposed project hopefully it will explain the project in more detail and answer some of your questions. Please take a look, any further questions please contact me again.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1852875542/1131425605?token=b1741c9f
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
What will the Millenium Falcon be used for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose it's an installation the same as a piece of art. We want to share it with everyone. We are not charging anything. It is simply an exercise to see if it can be built as far as we are concerned. Something worth seeing for sci-fi fans
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. My concern is that it is breach of their copyright. Even if it small modifications they can still bring a claim against you. It would need to be at least 25% different.I would seek,permission of Lucas Films, that would be the best way of doing it.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does 25% different change things?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Over this it's not copying. But the difficulty is you also using the name. It's copyright and you can't use it.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.k to clarify 25+ % different and a name change and it's not an issue
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
That's rightalex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.k that is the route we could take, I will contact Lucas films/ Disney first. Thanks for your time Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Happy to help. Good luckAlexIf this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience