How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have signed a contract specific amount of money. Out

Resolved Question:

I have signed a contract for a specific amount of money. Out of that money the defendant paid me and now owes me about 12000Although I am owed about 12000 pounds , can I claim 10000 in order to keep this claim on to small claims?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Yes you can claim only £10,000 which keeps it under the small claims limit.Or if the Defendant will agree £12,000 in a small claim it can stay there.So its either £10,000 or £12,000 with the other sides agreement.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your prompt answer. I know that the defendant will not accept the 12000 to go through the small claims court. I take it the legal fee (about 400 pounds) will not push this to fast track? Meaning if I will win , the defendant will have to pay me circa 10400. I forgot to say that the case is extremely straight forward and will not be required to go to fast track.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Correct. Its the amount in dispute, excluding interest and Court fees.So £10,000 is fine.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wonderful, many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a good day
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
And youAlexIf this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Many thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.