75100385

Good MorningMy County Council planted a hedge row at the

Good Morning
My County Council planted a hedge row at the rear of my garden over 20 years ago which was planted on their land which left approx. This left about 1 and half metres my side which I have used as my own for over twenty years without question.
The council have new tenants of the farm behind me who now want to erect a wooden fence behind me but have said they want all materials stored there and some brick weave pulled up.
can you please help me with advise.
Clive ***
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What is it you want to achieve please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex
I would like to keep the very small strip that in my opinion the council have abandoned. I should just say that I think the council planted the hedge etc in 1998/1999 and so not twenty years. I hope I can insist that should they wish to erect a fence it should be on their side of the hedge.KRClive
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Did you register the strip at the land registry to claim adverse possession?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AlexI was not aware I could register the strip.KRClive
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
It's bad news then. If you have not registered the land then it does not belong to you. It makes no difference how long you have used it for, if it's not registered then it's not yours.This means the land will always be theirs and a such they can take the hedge down and put something else there.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clairfy anything for you about this today pleaseAlex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alex that's fine.KRClive
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck.AlexIf this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/