Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I own a house with a partner/friend. I have been working out

I own a house with a partner/friend. I have been working out of the country for 7 years, but I come home every summer and some spring and Christmas breaks. I pay some of the bills for the house such as insurance, T.V. License and send him money every month. He has been paying the household bills such as electricity, gas, and water. He is now dating someone. I am coming back to the UK in June. He says he doesn't want me to live in the house as it might cause his girlfriend to be upset. What are my legal rights as a home owner?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Do you have a formal agreement or deed of trust in place? As you are a joint owner you have a legal interest in the property which also gives rise to you being allowed to occupy the property. If he does not wish for you to live in the property then you will need to consider how you wish to realise your share of the property. He cannot legally exclude you from the property without a court order. You can either negotiate for him to purchase your share of the property, or he cannot afford this then the property will need to be sold and equity divided in accordance with how the title is held. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only know that we are both named owners on the house deed an on the insurance. I assume the bills to, but am not certain of that. I should tell you that I am American and don't yet have legal residence. I applied for leave to remain 8 years ago, but then my mom got ill and I had to go home so that stopped the process. I want to return to the UK as I consider it my home for many reasons. I am currently looking for a teaching post there and intend to reapply for leave to remain as soon as I have a job. Does this have any bearing on my rights as a home owner?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Your immigration status will not impact your legal rights in relation to the legal ownership and rights to the property and my previous information remains the same - you are entitled to your proportion of the property (either she will have to buy you out, or the property will need to be sold and proceeds divided). She cannot exclude you from the property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok good to know. One more question and I think that's it. :-) You said in your original answer "He cannot legally exclude you from the property without a court order." On what grounds could he do that? I don't pose any threat to him. We have remained friends all these years. His only concern is that his current girlfriend will not like me living there. Could he seriously get a court order?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Under the information you have provided, he has no grounds to exclude you from the property. If there was domestic violence then he could apply for an occupation order to exclude you, but this does not appear to be the case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok No, no domestic violence on either side. :-) Thank you so much for your answers. You have set my mind at ease. Have a great night. :-)
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hope it goes well. If you have further questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris