12826847

I had my passport stolen and worried what kind of things

I had my passport stolen and worried what kind of things they can do with it (worried about ID theft)
What do I need to worry about and what can I do to prevent problems.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have you reported it??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I reported to the passport office. They issued me with a new passport
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I didn't receive your answer.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is there any evidence your identity is being used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I am just worried in the future as so far I have used my passport to identify myself even when I sold my house or making a will, etc
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it could be used in that way but until it is the agencies will not be interested.You have made a report so it has been blocked.If there is evidence of identity theft in the future then you could rely on the report.I suppose you could make a report of the theft to the police but they may well say it is a civil matter because I presume you cannot be sure it was stolen rather than just lost and also they are far too busy mediating domestic squabbles that we euphemistically call 'abuse' and investigating false allegations of sexual abuse to deal with any proper crime.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be used to sell my house?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, not per se.It could be used to prove identity but he would need to do more than that to sell your house.That is not going to happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would need to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ask this so that I can make sure it won't happen. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is no way of preventing this happening.All you can do is deal with it afterwards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they need more id then the passport I hope.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried about this because it can come to light after I died and it is more difficult for my children to prove that it wasn't me. Can I make a document that is legally protecting
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I really seriously wouldn't waste your time on this. It is very unlikely to happen.There is absolutely no evidence that it has happened.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
However, very little is needed to perform an identity theft. Passports are usually desirable for the purposes of gaining entry into the UK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course. I don't really think that it would but it is too big a risk to leave it like this. Is there a way to make a legal document stating something that my children can use in an unlikely case?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do to help in that case?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If there is evidence of identity theft in the future then you could rely on the report.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any way to support it?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you have made a report then that is fairly compelling.You have made a report and the passport has been replaced without another.I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best. Please remember to rate my answer. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.