75100385

My daughter returned home from holiday to find two letters

My daughter returned home from holiday to find two letters dated 1 Feb. and two final reminders dated 16 Feb. from a company called UKPC (UK PARKING CONTROL). These letters are demanding payment of £100 each for "Not parked correctly within the markings of the bay or space" The alleged parking offences are timed at 19.22 hrs and 20.00 hrs on the same date (29 Dec 2015). UKPC have provided time and date stamped photographs which show what is alleged to be a yellow parking ticket on the windscreen at both of these times. My daughter was at the cinema in the complex with friends and they all are adamant that there was no ticket on the car when they returned to it. So the first my daughter became aware of this issue was when she returned from holiday to find the letters on 20 Feb. My daughter admits that, in common with many other vehicles she parked at the end of a row because the car park at the shopping centre/cinema complex was full that evening. She was not, however, causing an obstruction as can be seen from the photographs. This is a FREE car park which I understand is privately owned and not under the control of any statutory authorities. I would appreciate it if you could advise whether my daughter has any liability here and if these charges are enforceable - she is being threatened with debt collectors and County Court proceedings. In case there are any legal differences between mainland UK and Northern Ireland you should be aware that the car park in question is in Belfast. Many thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.She admits that she didnt park within a bay, do I understand that correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. That's correct. She parked as an additional vehicle at the end of a row because she saw that others were doing the same thing. She is concerned that she never got a ticket at the time and is now being harassed for two "penalty" charges timed about 40 minutes apart and relating to the same incident.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - its bad news I am afraid. She is liable for 1 ticket as she didnt park in the terms and conditions. If they have a photo with the ticket on the car that is enough, it may be it was taken off by someone else or blew off.But she should certainly appeal. She can do this at: https://www.ukpcappeals.co.uk/But it would appear she is liable for one ticket as she should park in a bay as per the terms and conditions.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. That's all I needed to know. Thank you.