29905560

I am the lead pastor London International

Customer Question

I am the lead pastor for the London International Christian Church in West London. We have a former member who from time to time attends our meetings. He has been sending letters for the past few years disputing aspects of the churches principles (IE commitment to community involvement, disagreement with sermon content, Involvement with peer mentoring etc). I have verbally informed him to stop multiple times. Since he is a solicitor, it feels as if he is building some sort of case given the language and format of the letters. How shall I respond to him?
Kind Regards,
Michael
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What kind of case do you think he may realistically be building?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A case that exposes us to reputational risk
Or to take a legal case against us
What exactly will he be claiming for though? I don't quite see what his potential claim would be for?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks - but how shall we respond to his letters?
I cannot comment on what he may have in mind as that would be just a guess at this stage. So I would not suggest you concentrate on the merits of his allegations, but the fact that he is contacting you about these in the first place. The fact that he is sending you all this unwanted correspondence could in itself amount to harassment. The law states that a person must not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what specifically amounts to harassment, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions. Under criminal law, and if this is reported to the police who then take action, the punishment for harassment can be imprisonment and/or a fine. A court may also impose a restraining order for the purpose of protecting the victim. In addition to criminal action, a civil claim can also be brought against a person who is alleged to be guilty of causing harassment. The courts would award compensation to the victim, something that is unlikely to happen if this is pursued as a criminal issue. So in the first instance you could warn the harasser that their actions are being treated as harassment and that unless they refrain from such behaviour in the future they will be reported to the police and legal action under harassment legislation taken against them. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of a possible template you could use to send to this person, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you