Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I cancelled an online order at Oak Furniture Land, Croydon.

I cancelled an online order at Oak Furniture Land, Croydon. According to their website they require 48 hours notice ahead of delivery, or else exact huge fees. Cancellation was was waiting for them at start of business on Monday (yesterday) and reconfirmed (by me) by telephone later that morning. The delivery date was Wednesday (tomorrow). Oak Furniture Land now say that the 48 hours notice was not 48 hours in my case; I should have cancelled by Friday. What can I do?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. When was the order actually placed by you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the order date was 18 Feb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
18/02/16 at 09.39
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is, I cancelled easily outside the 48 hour deadline. They say 48 hours. I cancelled ahead of that. I understand they have to load vans, etc, which is why there is a 48 hour deadline. But I cancelled outside of that, not within it.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
They cannot refuse your cancellation unless this is a bespoke (custom made) piece of furniture. Under the Consumer Contract regulations you have 14 days to cancel the order (from the date of delivery). Their terms cannot override these regulations. You should not incur any fee in cancelling as they have not yet delivered the item. I would suggest that you confirm you are cancelling and say if they do not confirm you will not be charged you will report them to trading standards and you will dispute any fees they may attempt to charge under the Consumer Contract Regulations. Please let me know if you have any further questions? If I have answered your question please take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joanna is there anything further you would like to know about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you haven't understood the situation. They have already refunded minus a hefty fee. They already have a terrible reputation for their business practices. But I will get on to Trading Standards, and email them to let them know that I know the regulations. Thank you
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
It wasn't clear that they had already charged a hefty fee. This is fully recoverable as they have no legal right to retain the fee. You should contact Trading Standards and ask them to refund the fee within 7 days and say if they do not you will bring a county court claim to recover the fee they have retained. You can bring a claim online at www.moneyclaim.gov.ukIf there is anything else you would like to know please ask.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for answering your question. Thank you and all the best with this.