Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I live with my partner but am not married. Is this relationship

I live with my partner but am not married. Is this relationship recognised under UK law for constructive ownership or only if we were legally married?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your message. If you do not also hold the legal title to the property, cohabitation will not give rise to an interest in the property. Marriage will however give rise to a beneficial interest. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. This is in relation to the transfer of shares in a UK Ltd company from my partner to myself and if it is seen as having a connection due to our relationship which is one of cohabitation. Not sure how UK law stands on this?

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - no, cohabitation as partners does not give rise to constructive ownership of shares in a company
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming this. Does this also apply to the transfer of shares if I have transferred/sold shares in a Ltd Company to my partner?

So the answer would still be No, it doesn't give rise to constructive ownership?

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
If you have formally transferred or sold shares in a limited company to your partner, this is not constructive ownership.