12826847

I bought a car from a dealer and it had an illegal exhaust

I bought a car from a dealer and it had an illegal exhaust on it... they have said they will replace but keep dodging the calls.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very sorry, I need to know what recourse I have. I need to know if I can force them to do the work or anything else. the existing exhaust is a racing exhaust and not road legal. they told me that they bought the car in good faith and initially said that they would replace the exhaust in October but I am still trying to get this work organised. it has a current MOT on it but would not pass another one.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
When did they make that offer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they made that offer last year (october) and told me they were moving premises and asked could I wait until after this was done and they would get back to me. they didn't so I called them back and they again said they would get back to me which they didn't and again I had to chase. i would like to know what i can do about this. i want the work don't but there were other jobs done prior to my purchase that's arent complete so all in all i am a little annoyed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.Did they give you any idea of time scale?Do you know if they have moved?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Each time it was supposed to be sorted very quickly ie immediate future but something came up, but when they said they were moving they said it was again going to only be a couple of weeks and once in the new premises they would organise the work. They didn't call me back and they said they thought I had forgotten about it when they were contacted. The amount of messing around that just this has caused is ridiculous. They never return calls and have to be repeatedly contacted to even speak to them to try and organise anything. They anything are a proper dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry they are a proper dealer that is
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Do you know if they have moved?Do you know their new address? Don't give it to me but do you know it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have moved. I don't know their new address but can get it.?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You are going to need that. Whichever way you look at this, they have had long enough to do this. It is a simple enough job and they have had since before Christmas. I would send them one letter giving them 14 days to put this right. Make clear that in default you will get the work done elsewhere and sue for the cost. If they ignore you then get two quotes and choose the cheapest. Get the work done and sue the original dealer here www.moneyclaim.gov.uk It won’t come to that though. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No you have been brilliant. Thanks for the answer and the help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/