29905560

My daughter Emma and her husband Steve went to watch a premiere

My daughter Emma and her husband Steve went to watch a premiere league football match with their two sons Freddie and Arthur in October 2015. The tickets for the match had been given by the club and included photographs with the players. The tickets were given to the family, as Steve a lifelong supporter of the club, had terminal cancer and it was an opportunity to make some memories for the boys with their dad. Before Steve and the boys went to be photographed Steve needed to use the bathroom. Emma pushed him in his wheelchair to the disabled facility. Steve was quite immobile and had to use the grab rail beside the toilet. This grab rail came away from the wall and Steve fell to the floor. Emma was with him but unable to get him up. Steve was very distressed and in more pain than usual. the team doctor and an ambulance was called Steve was given additional pain relief but not taken to hospital. During this time the boys were taken to have photographs with the players without Steve, who was unable to join them for some time following the incident. He was able to watch the match with the boys. Steve died November 12th 2015. No good memories were made at the match. Emma since contacted the club but has never received an apology for what was surely poor workmanship in an area one would expect to be safe.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Did they suffer any injuries?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no injuries, additional pain
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
What are you specifically hoping to achieve in the circumstances?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
honestly I don't know I just feel the day was planned to make memories for the boys - the club did not offer any apologies or accept responsibility for the pain and distress
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I fully empathise with you and what you experienced, which was compounded by the club’s refusal of an apology. Legally, you would only really be able to take matters further if some personal injury was suffered as a result. For example, if the trip resulted in a bro***** *****mb, or other personal injury, then legal liability would have been created in the club’s part. If no personal injuries were suffered, rather it was some increased pain and the shock and disappointment of the situation, there would not really be cause to claim. As far as an apology is concerned, that is a moral obligation, rather than a legal one. So if they have refused to apologise, there would be no legal liability on them to do so. Breach of moral obligations do not give cause for legal action unfortunately. Therefore, in the absence of personal injury, you are really looking at the club responding in an appropriate and morally acceptable manner, which sadly is at their discretion. You can exert pressure by formally complaining to them and even threatening that you would make this public or go to the papers, hoping that such pressure will get them to at least apologise or offer some other goodwill gesture. But you cannot actually force them to apologise so this is left down to them. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I am saddened by the circumstances nothing can change was has happened. Suzan
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome and sorry I could not offer you a guaranteed way to resolve this but that is the unfortunate reality. However, going public may help - no one likes their reputation affected adversely