How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We are a sponsored academy who rent rooms in a property on

Resolved Question:

We are a sponsored academy who rent rooms in a property on site to a local radio station who have broadcast licenses so this is not a problem, we have a long term lease from the local council for the schools property site, the radio station have requested if they can have access into the early hours of the evening to present live shows (the building they present from is separate to the main school building but still our building and on the main school site)- we do not know if there are any restrictions on us to allow this or where we would look to find any such restrictions? please can you assist? thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What is it you want to achieve please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We need to make sure if we agree to allow them extended access to the building that we are not breaking any laws and getting ourselves into hot water, we are a school and this is not our area of expertise - I assume any restrictions would be in the lease documents from the local authority and if there are none we are able to operate at any hour providing we will not be disturbing local tenants?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I assume you have permission to sublet from the Council?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe in the past the council has been happy for us to do short term room hire etc but I have not come across anything in writing - for any sublets of long term premises yes we have.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything in your long lease that allows you to sub let?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is nothing mentioned on sub let in the long lease
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found this in it:
not to underlet any part or parts for a term (including any option to renew) in excess of 3 years except that the tenant may grant to bcfc an underlease for a term of fifteen years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tenant may share occupation of the whole or any part of the premises with a company that is a member of the same group as the tenant within the meaning of the landlord and tenants act 1954 section 42 for so long as both companies remain members of that group
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - how long have you granted the radio a term for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 years they would like 5 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any agreement is likely to be renewed at the end of the term - if we are able to?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - you cant grant 5 years because of the lease. This is because the main lease says you can't grant in excess for 3 years. So you need to get permission from the Council if you want to do that.But save for that there are not any issues. I would however make sure that you have adequate insurance in the event the radio causes you loss or business interruption.But as far as this is concerned you can only sublet for 3 years or less. You can renew it as its 3 year terms you are limited to.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lastly - there is not limitation on the hours we allow them to operate? I cannot see anything in the long lease about operating hours.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No, not unless its in your agreement with the Council.Does that help?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
perfect - thank you Alex for your help.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
HAppy to help.AlexIf this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you