12826847

A person has accused me of physically assaulting another person

Customer Question

a person has accused me of physically assaulting another person six months ago, in writing to a third party . totally untrue . there was a verbal argument nothing physical, and person supposed to have assaulted not made any complaints to my knowledge. have professional reputation to protect, can I sue for libel or any other grounds
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Does this person have any money?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know them well or of their circumstances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know either of them . met them in a public place in a professional capacity. there was an argument started by person A but resolved I thought as she returned following day all very civil. then six months later letter by third person accusing me of physical attack to professional body. all fabricated all untrue and I have two witnesses.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do they work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as I say I have no details about them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I have redress or any grounds to sue. what do you advise
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You need to get to the bottom of this. There is no point in suing if they cannot pay. It is a very expensive action to bring and if they are people of straw there is no point.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
In principle, such an allegation can amount to defamation.If you mean sexually assaulting somebody then that very definitely is defamation. If you mean a common assault then it is less inflammatory but it could be a defamation.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If it is untrue then you could get a solicitor to write to them for about £100 plus VAT which is usually enough to deter further comment.If you want to silence them then you could seek an injunction not to repeat this specific falsehood. That is cheaper although it depends whether or not they contest it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I go to solicitor for injunction would like accusation removed
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You don't get it removed. There is no way of doing that unless they choose to withdraw.The injunction is to prevent them repeating it. It is expensive but there might be more in it than the money for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I go to solicitor to get injunction or police
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where how do I go about getting injunction.thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
A solicitor. The police cannot help. This is not a criminal offence.