Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

As a follow on to my question on Planning:1. You said I

Customer Question

As a follow on to my question on Planning:
1. You said I needed Building Regs but you didn't explain why. In view of the fact that it has always been a pub and the bedrooms above for paying guest I would continuously from it being built. Maybe in the last years not having the fire alarm extended upstairs or fire doors. Fire escapes were in place.
2 You didnt explain why I can start letting the bedrooms as soon as I have bedrooms alarmed and fire doors fitted and a fire certificate in place before doing what other thing Building Regs may requireWould you like to see the exchange of emails with the Planners and Building Regs
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only change I am going to make to the building is to make the bedrooms en suite
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I hope you haven't forgotten me.
Just to add the pub was compliant and we had to do the necessary but continued without having to sound proof or insulate.The bedrooms fell short on safety issues. we are addressing those with extending the alarms and fire doors so why do we need Building Regs to have to insulate and sound proof when there are no structural changes apart from stud walls to make en suite
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have you forgotten me over 24 hours have elapsed
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am prepared to wait. The Barister who dealt with it before would be ideal because he was superb.
I just want further details
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
CanCustomernot pick up my query
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. I have sent this question to all our Experts and requested the previous Expert to answer as well.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Nicola
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. No need to reply further at this time.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 months ago.
1. My view on the Building Regs is predicated upon the fact that works are being carried out so where works are carried out, these have to comply with Building Regs. However, if your local planners are not insisting upon this, then there is no need to do so. However, the fire obligations would be compulsory as these are necessary in order to continue to obtain your drinks licence. Secondly, there are different requirements for the ability to let rooms out and these are not contingent upon the rooms being brought up to Building Regs requirements. So long as the rooms are habitable and there is no fire danger, then there is no problem in renting the rooms out. The requirements are different in this regard.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What constitutes works for Building Regs.
Do the following
1. installing ensuite in a bedroom
2. Refurbishing a toilet.
3. Re figuring layout of a room e.g moving toilet/shower from one corner to another.
Can I find a list somewhere
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
4.Fire Alarm
5. Fire doors
Do they come under that list
2. Installing an ensuite in a bedroom and installing a fire alarm and fire doors both would constitute works under the Building Regs. Refurbishing a toilet and reconfiguring a room would not constitute works for the purposes of the Building Regs. However, I don't believe there is any actual list. It is a matter of degree.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I last question please. I may have asked this before. Would it mean if I did doors and Alarms I would have to do the sound proofing and insulation as well as mandatory all be it in due course.
3. No Sound proofing and insulation could be done when you are ready. So long as you do the fire doors and the alarms you can rent out the rooms and it will be OK.