75100385

I was overpaid by the tax office and they want tne monies back.

i was overpaid by the tax office and they want tne monies back. However i cleared some debt with the money and i need to pay back in instalments. The tax office will only give me a limited time to pay back and i need more time . what can i do.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.For now please let me know how much is owing please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£12,500 to be precise
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Was it their fault or did you not declare something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i filled in my self assessment and they say it was wrong, i got a repayment back of 30,000,00 they then aske dfor the money back . I paid back 18000.00 and have tried an arrangement. The self assessment was not filled in wrong. They stated i told them i lived abroad , when i clearly did not
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - so it was their fault? Have you asked for a copy of the return?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, what would this acheive
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Because you can check to see whether you told them you were living abroad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fine, then what can i do, i
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the tax return is correct , can i legally ask for a longer
period t pay back? Where do i stand if they have made a mistake?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
In law is this was a payment of benefits, if it was their fault then you would not have to repay it. However if this is a repayment of tax which they said was not owing, but is now, sadly you do have to pay it back.However given it was their mistake and through no fault of your own, they should allow you longer to pay it back.There is no law involved in this but because its their fault, then you should not be penalised.If they try and get you to pay it back quicker you can threaten them with a Judicial Review - this is where a Judge in the High Court examines their decision to seek repay back and sees whether it is legal or reasonable. A court can agree with the decision or remit it back for further consideration.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i lost, would i be given a shorter period of time and maybe lose my home?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Potentially but it was their fault. Therefore you shouldnt be penalised.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you