12826847

I joined the gym xercise4less 2 years ago. I wanted to end

Customer Question

I joined the gym xercise4less 2 years ago. I wanted to end my membership last year so I called them and asked what to do. They said I needed to send them a letter giving 30 days notice and that they would take the last payment within that 30 days. I did so and the took the money so I thought all was well. I then realised they were still taking money out of my account for months afterwards so I cancelled my direct debit. I then started to receive threatening letters from their partner harlands Ltd. I contacted harlands and they said the gym hadn't let them know I canceled my membership but they would sort it out. I still received threatening letters from them so I called multiple times and they all said the same thing. I am now receiving threatening letter from a credit debt solution saying I owe even more money and that they'll take me to court if I don't pay it. I did everything that was asked of me and I would like to know where I stand if they do take me to court as I have done nothing wrong. They clearly don't communicate with each other and this is clearly common practice as they have been brought up on BBC watchdog about it.please help as I'm extremely worried about this. Thanks laura.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know how I can end this. I've done nothing wrong and an really worried about it
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Were you locked into a rolling contract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so but that's why I rang them to ask them what I should do to end my contract and they said to just send a letter giving them 30 days notice.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, that might be what they said but it depends what is in your contract.Do you have a copy? Will they send you a copy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure but my sister joined at the same time as me and left at the same time as me and she hasn't had any of this trouble
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends what is in your contract.If you are locked into a rolling contract then it might be that an insurance company paid in full and you are liable to them. If so, it wouldn't matter what the gym said on the point.if the contract is with the gym rather than a financial company then the gym can release you from the contract and you could rely on what was said to you about it.You would need to get access to your contract to get to the bottom of that although that should not be unreasonably withheld.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what I don't understand is if me and my family had the exact same contacts, and ended them exactly the same, then why aren't they chasing my family for this money as well as me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, there could be lots of reasons.They are exercising discretion in her favour, they haven't noticed it, you don't have the same contract etc.