How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10459
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Good morning. My Mother is 80 and lives on her own and has

Customer Question

Good morning. My Mother is 80 and lives on her own and has housing benefits etc. she has no real savings but will soon be given over £100 k in inheritance from her late brothers will.Can she give this away between the family and stay on benefits ? thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks for your enquiry.If your Mother does come into possession of an amount of money then she will need to declare it. The DWP will then consider the effect that it will have on her benefits.Likewise, if she were to waive her right to this inheritance, this will be seen by DWP as a deliberate act of depriving herself of the money, and if they found out, they can then treat her as owning this money, when assessing her entitlement to benefits, even if she has never physically received it.I'm sorry that this is not the answer that you wanted but it is an accurate reflection of the position Im afraid.Kind RegardsAl
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Can I assist you any further?Kind RegardsAl
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thankyou for the help. your answer is as i thought. thanks. no more help is required
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer, so I may be credited for my time.Best WishesAl