Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Good morning. My Mother is 80 and lives on her own and has

Customer Question

Good morning. My Mother is 80 and lives on her own and has housing benefits etc. she has no real savings but will soon be given over £100 k in inheritance from her late brothers will.Can she give this away between the family and stay on benefits ? thanks
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks for your enquiry.If your Mother does come into possession of an amount of money then she will need to declare it. The DWP will then consider the effect that it will have on her benefits.Likewise, if she were to waive her right to this inheritance, this will be seen by DWP as a deliberate act of depriving herself of the money, and if they found out, they can then treat her as owning this money, when assessing her entitlement to benefits, even if she has never physically received it.I'm sorry that this is not the answer that you wanted but it is an accurate reflection of the position Im afraid.Kind RegardsAl
Hi,Can I assist you any further?Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thankyou for the help. your answer is as i thought. thanks. no more help is required
Thanks.If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer, so I may be credited for my time.Best WishesAl