12826847

I was caught today, in primark. I did something stupid and didn't pay item

Customer Question

Hi, I was caught today, in primark. I did something stupid and didn't pay for 2 items, just walked out. It was worth £27. I'm embarrassed. I did apologise and paid for it. They didn't call the police but took my details, took a picture and I was free to go. What will happen next?
There's something even stranger....at the end one of the security guard stayed with me and asked for my phone number. I gave it to him, honesty I didn't know I have any rights at that moment. He called me since twice from a private number and asked, what could I offer for him for not to send my report to the police on Monday?
I said, I can't offer anything to him but my apologies and finished the phone call.
I've never done anything like this. I just realised how serious the consequences are. I'm worried about the criminal record.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if they will make a report?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and I want to know if that guard was a bit funny about involving the police on Monday. I felt he wanted me offer money to him not to!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He told me he could delete everything from cctv and destroy the written evidence, but he's risking his job so I have to think hard what I can offer for him to do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He called me on my mobile phone hours later when I was home.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Obviously nobody can comment upon whether they will call the police. They may call the police. It is not particularly likely that they would at this stage as it would be more usual to call them in store.The comments of the guard do sound as they they are bordering on various offences but you would need to risk police involvement to bring this to the attention of anybody. That said, he is reported this then his own conduct would come out. I wouldn't make any offers as then you would be committing an offence.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shall I contact the manager to let him know what his staff is up to? Because this is obviously how he makes his extra income.
Will I be having a criminal record after the incident yesterday?
I paid for the items. Will I receive any other fine? The guard said I'll receive a phone call in a few days from RLP. (Retail loss prevention limited. ) There wasn't any loss. I paid.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, I wouldn't suggest it. He will deny it and it will give him a motivation to call the police. Just ignore it.