12826847

Can you help please. I have received a fixed penalty notice

Can you help please. I have received a fixed penalty notice for speeding - 37 mph in a 30mph area, The 30 area is on the A38 and is clearly marked at both ends of the 30 stretch. However I entered the area from a side road which was not restricted. There is no restriction sign on the side road and no sign visible at the junction to the A38. Is it worth appealing
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Were there street lights at regular alternatives?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not on the approach road. Not sure about the A38 - it is a rural situation
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, but on the stretch of road in question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There may be a astreet light in the 30stretch . not definite. How does that effect the situation??
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It changes everything.What is the location in question? Which specific part of the A38?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
small stretch of the A38 where it crosses railway between Dursley and Berkeley in Gloucestershire. Post code is GL11 or GL13 if you want to google it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My approach was down Taits Hill Road
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I have just googled it. It depends where you were.Some of that stretch of road is clearly signed by street lighting.There are only three automatic speed limits in the UK. The first is 30 mph in a restricted zone signed by street lights, the second is 60 mph in a single carriageway without street lights and the third is 70 mph on a motorway. This appears to be a single stretch of road so it is either 30 mph or 60mph unless they vary the speed limit with signs. They seem to have signed the approaches but they can rely on street lighting to indicate the speed limit.It depends where you were. Some of it is clearly covered by street lighting but some of it is not. If you were in an area with no street lighting then you should appealing it. If not, then probably not.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is helpful. I will. go and have a another look at the situation re the streetlights, I was thinking it was an open and shut case if there was no 30 sign but I can see the presence of streel lights could alterthings. Many thanks.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It does but quite often on country roads they aren't well maintained.