Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Can I put in a notice to quit without the permission of the

Can I put in a notice to quit without the permission of the other tenants? I am in a joint tenancy agreement with a 6 month break clause
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Just to check - s it definitely a joint tenancy with other tenants, or does each tenant have their own agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is definitely a joint tenancy agreement
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Yes you are able to give notice without the other tenant's permission as set out in the tenancy agreement - however, this will end the tenancy and effectively the other tenant/tenants will also have to move out upon expiry of your notice to quit.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and what would be the case if it wasn't a joint tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and how should I ideally go about submitting a notice to quit?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
If each tenant had their own tenancy then they will continue to live at the property when you leave as their tenancy would continue. You will need to write to your landlord formally and inform them that you are giving notice to quit in accordance with the break clause in the agreement together with the amount of notice stipulated in the agreement. It would be helpful to the other tenants to inform them that you intend to do this so that they can arrange either amending the agreement so they continue living in the property, or make arrangements for someone to replace you. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so regardless of whether the tenancy is joint or individual i can definitely put in a notice to quit?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
As long as there is a 6-month break clause, yes