Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

If you get some cash in inheritance while your on benefit.

If you get some cash in inheritance while your on benefit. If it pushes you over the 16k limit in savings I.e. Capital and you didn't notice. Then went under the limit. What happens? Is benefit supposed to be stopped for the duration your over that amount? Do you have to notify anyone? If so who? and in what time scale assuming it was in the current tax year?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And how screwed are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And What's the procedure for resolving the issue? And if you can assume I phrased as single question with the wording considering those points (as given above)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assume for sake of argument the person was over the limit for 22 days by a few grand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assume Single person on mental health age 30-40 for benefits I.e. Housing, council tax? Esa/job seekers/disability
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No kids
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry not job seekers ESA. They haven't signed anything that tells them to notify anyone for inheritance and assume inheritance isn't income and is taxed seperatly at source and as such wasn't connected to a change in circumstances. However now I have read it does and are panicking over it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The person prior to being on mental health was well to do had more than one property lost the lot and was starving amongst other things before going through the mental health system. so wasn't paying attention to the numbers when inheritance was paid because of things that cant be mentioned here. I.e. Tortured via injections against will which is may or may not be mitigating circumstances but they are terified of talking to the system now.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Please do not worry so much.Technically your benefits should have been reduced for the period that it took for your capital to drop below the threshold.However, the period was very short and had you asked for advice at that stage from, say, the Citizens Advice Bureau they would have told you to pay a debt or buy something you need to get the amount below the threshold.You did not do it deliberately, it could have been easily resolved legitimately and they will not be interested.I hope this helps . If there are further points please reply, I will be happy to respond.Best wishesMichael