Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

We would like some advice regarding early release from

Customer Question

We would like some advice regarding early release from our tenancy agreement. We have been renting for six months and recently have had two police officers and two newspaper reporters come to the property looking for the husband of our landlady. When we looked online the landlady's husband is currently being tried for five rapes and two sexual assaults. Recent newspaper articles state that he still lives at this property. This is a concern to us as we live here with young children.
We would like to know what obligation the landlady had to tell potential tenants about this ongoing investigation/trial.
Additionally, how can our letting agent assist us in leaving this property? We do not want to be stuck here whilst they find another tenant. They have informed us they now have to let potential tenants know about the case and we fear this will put a lot of tenants off, meaning we are to remain here as we are liable for the rent.
Do we have a case for exiting our agreement early (currently signed until August 2017) and not having to live here whilst the letting agent finds a new tenant.
Kindest regards
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Is there an early-break clause in the tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. No there is no early break clause.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank. Unfortunately, unless the landlord agrees with you to end it early, you cannot force it to end and would be liable to remain in the property until the end of the tenancy. The landlady would not have had a duty to disclose this information to you, or potential tenants as he does not live there, even though he possibly had lived there previously. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.