75100385

I gave my car to a garage to have a full engine rebuild

Customer Question

Hi, I gave my car to a garage to have a full engine rebuild in April 2015 and I was told the job will take 5 weeks. Its now been 10 months and the car is still not ready. I call the garage up every day and he tells me it will be done tomorrow, end of the week, waiting for a part, he is testing it etc etc...I have been down there a few times and the car is there minus the engine. I have even said I would go and pick it up and he has requested more time as he says the engine is in bits. Its a classic Porsche and only 5-7 mechanics do this work in the UK. What can I do? I am without use of this car, can I ask for compensation or refuse to pay for the work? what are my options?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Have they said why it's just taken so long please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First it was parts, then it was oil leaks, then he says the car is ready he will drop it off tomorrow, then he does not, then it goes round and round in a loop as he says the engine is not running properly so he will drop it off the next week, then he will be coming to drop it off and then same thing again....
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You need to write and ask that the work is done or the car is returned within the next 14 days or you will sue for damage and loss.If they refuse then you can issue a claim using form N1:http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdfIf all you want to do is claim compensation then you can do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.ukBut if you want the Court to order the car is returned you need to complete form N1The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would I write in the claim form N1 - compensation for loss of use,5 week job being a year?ThanksSunil
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes, breach of contract as well under S.13 of the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Please rate otherwise I am not paid for my time with you. Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes will rate today for you
Also can I call the police as the car is not at the garage anymore, and he keeps saying its at his other site in north london, but he wont give me the address and I have asked several times
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You can but the Police may consider this a civil matter.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything else for you? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it wouldnt be classed as theft?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No, because you gave it to them and they dont intend to keep it forever.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But how do I know that they will return it to me? might not happen?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
its not theft, it is a civil dispute. By all means try but I doubt the police will do anything with it.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that clairfy for you? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the N1....how much detail do I provide ?Do I have to justify the compensation I am asking for ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes of course. You do that in the particulars of claim part
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that clarify? Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/