How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10527
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I've come to the UK on a Tier 2-ICT Long term visa in August

Resolved Question:

I've come to the UK on a Tier 2-ICT Long term visa in August 2010. I make more than £155,300 per year. Can I apply for ILR?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes, you can and should apply for Indefinite Leave to REmain on the basis of your five years lawfully residing in the UK. You have had the entitlement to apply since August 2015. Getting ILR will mean you will no longer have to apply for a visa to live and work in the UK. Additionally, after 12 months in the uK on ILR, you can make an application for UK citizenship. This will then entitle you to a British passport.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure that's correct? I've been googling a lot and blogs say that for Tier 2 ICTs after april 2010, their time doesn't get counted toward the 5 years.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Dear *****ie, that is not correct. Of course, your time on a Tier 2 visa counts towards getting ILR. I don't know where you are getting the contrary, but it is not correct. There is a clear path to citizenship for Tier 2 visa holders. It would be different if you were a student.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions