29905560

Ive been paying over the odds to Santander/Aviva

Hi ...
Ive been paying over the odds for years to Santander/Aviva for home/contents insurance.
I am 60 years old and have just aquired a laptop where I have discovered this. My premiums this year were £61 a month and I have just cancelled this for £14 with another provider. My concern is that for years I have not known the going rate for insurance and maybe older people with no access to this knowledge will be scammed as well ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, there is no such thing as a going rate in reality. You may find that one provider is much cheaper than others, whilst others are much more expensive. This is the same for all types of insurance - you could get quotes for insurance which will range hugely, with the most expensive ones a few times higher than the cheapest one. This is not a scam. This is how insurance and business in general works. No one is forcing you to go for the more expensive ones - it is there but you decide which one you want to go for. If you have no immediate access to compare quotes then that does not mean the fact that someone is providing you with an expensive quote is a scam. You still have the choice to shop around, whether online or in person, or over the phone. I fully empathise because no one likes to know they have been paying more for something which they could have got cheaper but you knew the premium you were agreeing to at the outset and you made a voluntary choice to opt for these premiums and with that insurer. Not knowing there were better deals out there does not make this unlawful or a scam in any way. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you