13262538

I am writing on behalf of a friend.

Customer Question

I am writing on behalf of a friend. He is Tanzanian, and came to the UK with his wife and two children. His wife had and has a British passport. My friend, Joe, and his wife divorced. The ex-wife reported Joe to UK immigration and Joe was arrested and put in Dover detention centre. Joe is now in Home Office accommodation in Uxbridge. He and his ex-wife are joint-tenant owners of their house in Reading. The ex-wife doesn't allow Joe in the house. In October the ex-wife took the son, Kelvin, aged 16, out of school and took him to Kenya. I think the son and ex-wife returned from Kenya at the end of last week. The intention is for Kelvin to enter a sixth-form college, even though he has missed the first part of this academic year. Joe has not been allowed to see Kelvin, and the ex-wife won't allow Kelvin access to a mobile telephone so that Joe can speak to him. What can Joe do to be able to see his son?
Many thanks indeed.
Katy***
****
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dear Nicola, That's OK I can wait a bit longer. In fact, the situation is not quite as I had put it. The ex wife has not brought the son back from Kenya. I believe the son, as a British passport holder and citizen, has a legal right to be in the UK education system and that his mother has duty to make sure that he is in it. What can my friend do to get his son back to the UK and to be back in full-time education, and to be able to see him? On their divorce there was not settlement of any kind - just a divorce. I hope this additional information might help. Many thanks. Katy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am great difficulty in sending this to you. Please email me if you get my answer above.many thanks. Katy
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstDoes your friend know which school the child is at?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He son was at a school in Leamington Spa, Coventry, but had finished GCSEs. He was to start at some sort of 6th form colllege, but then the ex-wife took him to Kenya, and they (the ex-wife and the son) are still there. As far as I know the son was put into a boarding school in Kenya, then contracted malaria, and now is not at school even in Kenya. I understand the son has refused to to go to school in Kenya and wants to return to the Uk. I hope this is helpful. Many thanks, Katy
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.
My apologies I misunderstood - are you saying that the child is still in Kenya?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes, even I thought the child was back in the UK last weekend, but Joe tells me the ex-wife and son never arrived. So, the ex-wife and son would seem to be still in Kenya. I wonder what on earth Joe can do to get his son back to be able to see him, and to get him back into the UK education system again. Thanks a lot. Katy
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.
Does the child hold a British passport?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes, the son holds a British passport. Thanks. Katy
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.
Then the only option is to report the matter to the British Embassy and say that you believe that the child wishes to returnto the UK.Sadly whilst he is in Kenya there is nothing else that can be donePlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I assume you mean to report the matter to the British Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya. As Joe does not know the whereabouts of his son in Kenya (other than he's in a village near Nairobi) I wonder what the British Embassy can do about it. Assuming the son gets back to the UK, how can Joe ensure he sees him? Thank you very much. Katy
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.
Sadly it is the only option that your friend has.Once the Child returns to the Uk then your friend can ocntact the school so that he can speak to the child and arrange to meet him.Since he is over 16 it is entirely up to the child what time he spends with your friend