31090051

We bought a vineyard and wondered

Customer Question

We bought a vineyard and wondered if we can copyright the name, to stop someone else using it? Please could you advise how I can go about this if possible? Also there is an image of grapes used on the label ( from previous owner) which we are using, is there anything wrong in us doing this and if we don't know where it came from, can we copyright it?
Many thanks for your advice
Eileen ***
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Did you just buy the property or business as well? What is the same of the vineyard please?Alex
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
You wouldn't copyright a name or a logo; copyright is an automatic right for original works such as books, films, software programs, paintings, plays and musical works etc. What you need for your name and/or logo is a trademark. You can do this by contacting the UK intellectual property office and submitting an application for a trademark. This can be dealt with via the gov.uk website. Google UK trademark to get the page. As long as the name is ***** ***** of the business and is original you should have no difficulty in getting a trademark registered. Happy to discuss further.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
As far as the logo is concerned, if it was owned by the previous owner again you should have no problem with a trademark as long as no one else has laid claim to it and has already registered a trademark. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.