29905560

Daughter was Engaged he got someone else Pregnant ( best

Customer Question

Daughter was Engaged he got someone else
Pregnant ( best friend), now he wants engagement ring back. does she have to give it back
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When was the ring given to her? Please note I am just due in a meeting so will reply fully early this afternoon, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
June 2015 , woman baby due may 2016
He told her to get out .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So she went to stay with the best friend
Then she found out he had been seeing
Her behind her back.she has just had it valued even though it cost 2000 they will give 400 pounds for diamond .
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. Your daughter’s rights will be governed under a piece of legislation, which specifically states that the gift of an engagement ring shall be presumed to be an absolute gift, which means that she would be legally entitled to keep it, even if the engagement was broken off. The only time he would be able to claim it back would be if he can prove that the ring was given on the condition that it should be returned if the marriage did not take place for any reason. So to answer your question – she does not have to give it back unless he can show that he had given it on the condition she would have to return it if the engagement was broken off. I can give you specific reference to the legislation in question which you can then use as reference and show it to him or use it as a defence if the need arises, so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reference to the legislation would be helpful .as he's being quite nasty
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** legislation is The Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1970, specifically Section 3 and you can find reference to it here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1970/33/section/3