Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Several colleagues and I are enjoying free membership at our

several colleagues and I are enjoying free membership at our golf club,having qualified under existing club rules (80 years old...25+years membership). The club now needs to raise its income and quite rightly decided ro increase the subs..560 full senior members £29 each...our few FREE members £246 each. Shouldn't the proposed increase be the same for all members and are we not being discriminated against? What shouldwe do? The Agm is to be held March 18th.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are other (non senior) members also being asked to pay an increased subscription rate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure. Juniors section is being re arr anged and other sections are being offered to try and bring in more members, but the seniors form 98 per cent of he membership.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies. I have now looked at the prosals in the AGM notification and it seems that Juniors subs are to remain unchanged.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Have you raised an informal complaint about this? Do you accept that the funds need to be raised?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not wish to talk telephone. I have not raised a formal complaint as the notification only arrived yesterday. I accept that the extra funds need to be raise.and did explain this to you in my original message. Are you advising that I should send a formal letter of complaint, and if so, how should I word it?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
you may have a point that it amounts to age discrimination to raise subs of senior members and not other members. You can write a formal complaint to the board saying that you do not dispute that funds need to be raised but that you believe that the fact that the increase applies only to seniors is discriminatory on the grounds of age and cannot be objectively justified. The board will then have to write back to you to explain why it is not discriminatory if they do not amend the policy. In legal terms they should not discriminate / apply this only to senior members unless this can be objectively justified. Is there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you.I shall send a letter along the lines you have suggested, to the club secretary, with the suggestion that the extra money the club is hoping to collect should be divided equally amongst all members.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I really hope you get an adequate response from them. I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for the time I have spent working on your question. Thank you and all the best.