Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My girlfriend and I purchased a house in December 2014 at a

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I purchased a house in December 2014 at a cost of £190000 which I have paid a deposit of £46,000, all the purchase costs e.g. Solicitors and mortgage set up fees and all the renovation costs of £10,000. Since then I have paid all outgoing bills I.e. Mortgage, insurances, life insurance, tv, electric, gas, council tax apart from payments that has been made from my girlfriend of £500 in December 2015 and £500 in February 2016. The house is now worth £235,000. The house was registered with Land Registry as held in joint names with the deposit secured in my name of £44,000 and the rest to be shared equally. My girlfriend was at Uni until May 2015 when she moved in permanently. Would I be entitled to a larger share of the equity as the relationship has broken down and she is living there at the moment but I have moved out.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Was there a deed of trust or formal agreement regarding contributions creating a greater share of the property for whoever makes them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a trust deed that says the house is held as tenants in common and that the deposit comes back to me then the rest in shared equally
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately, without demonstration of intent that greater contributions will increase your share of the property, the equity after your deposit is settled should be shared equally.