12826847

I was victim of fraudulent activity where money had been

Customer Question

Hi. I was victim of fraudulent activity where money had been transferred into my bank account from my paypal account without my consent. Shortly after, it was transferred from my bank account into another bank account without my consent. I reported this matter to my bank Barclays and paypal the following day when i noticed these transactions. Barclays recently accepted my case as fraud, but only returned one of the payments that left my bank account of £0.01 and not the remaining £3775 that left my bank account. They asked for confirmation that the paypal account was actually in fact my own account, and when i done this in person in my local branch, the fraud team said they would be in contact further. Barclays contacted me today and said that they were not able to refund the remaining money as it came from my paypal without my consent, deeming it paypals liability which i would understand if it had gone to another bank account from my paypal, but the money reached a third party via my bank account, therefore i believe it is Barclays duty to help and protect me which they are now refusing to do. The impact this has had on my Paypal is that it has gone into a negative balance of £3775, and is now at high risk of being passed to a debt recovery service through no fault of mine and Barclays are unwilling to help me. I am a student and am very scared as i dont know what to do. I've missed 15 days of work up to this date, and have been under great stress as paypal keep phoning me asking me how id like to payment etc. I really need someones help as all i want to seem to do is run away and hide from these problems. I am going to see my doctor as i cant handle this stress as it makes me think very negatively about my life and i fear i may be a suicide risk. Please could you help me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know what I should do? and what help might be available to me as my bank is refusing to return the money which was taken from my bank account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish to seek legal advice, as i feel the only way i can sort this out is by seeking help through legal experts .. I want to know if i have a case at all or anything and if i can be helped or not?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure this is really my area. I will opt out for others.