12826847

Have received a speeding ticket 29.02.2016.....offence was

Have received a speeding ticket 29.02.2016.....offence was apparently carried out on 31.12.2015 is there such a thing as the 14 day rule , if so what do I do?...Thanks..
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you the registered keeper?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes..
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do these have the correct address for you and the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Does the new NIP say reminder on it anywhere?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Were you stopped at scene by the officer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes was a speeding camera!..
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That would change things. The officer had a laser gun and actually stopped you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very sorry jo.... got mixed up. ...was definitely a speed camera , sorry...hope that helps...
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So were you stopped at scene?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...not stopped at scene.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Good news then. They are time barred. The rules are contained in S1[1]c] Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 which you’ll find here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/53/section/1 They must either deliver a NIP verbally at scene or serve it upon the registered keeper within fourteen days of the offence. Under S1[1A] the notice should actually arrive within 14 days. However, its important to respond in a particular way. The document you have received is confusing. Although it is one document, it contains both a NIP and a S172 form which are two different legal entities. They may well be time barred on the NIP but that doesn’t mean you can avoid your S172 responsibilities. If you don’t respond naming the driver on the S172 form they will charge you with failing to identify. Probably they are hoping you will do exactly that so that they can prosecute you for something. If you do fill out the forms naming the driver then its likely you would hear no more about it. If they do seek to prosecute you then you can rely on the fact that the NIP was out of time. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Jo x
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/