Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I hope you can offer some advice. I'm a makeup artist and

Customer Question

I hope you can offer some advice. I'm a makeup artist and recently provided my services for a fashion show in London. In the contract, the fashion show, agreed that I will be working along side one other makeup artist providing makeup for 30+ models/hosts. Both of us will work under a head makeup artist. In return the cost for me to do this was £4000. I agreed to this and made the payment on time,signed the contract and emailed them the copy. A few days later they sent me the invoice of payment received. This was all finalised end of November 2015. The show was on 31th January 2016. In December I got in touch to find out who the other makeup artist is I'm working along side. But they call me and say they have decided to do with 9 more other makeup artists along side myself! Who have all paid only £2000 to do the show! I was devastated I invested so much money to be recognised as one of the two main artists..they said I can get my £2000 back in first week of January so it's all fair with the other 9 makeup artists that will be working with me. I agreed verbally on the phone and have texted conversation regarding this. but I didn't receive any money back. Then they said all the partners are very busy with organising the event as wasn't long to go and will not get my money back until the day after the show is done. I said ok I'll wait. On the actual day of the show as outlined on the contract the head international makeup artist was not with us present assisting with the makeups. No explanation was giving to where he is or why not with us. Any week after the show I got in touch about getting the money back they owe me but was verbally abused by one of the team members. I have the voice recording of that abusive message too. Since than I still haven't heard back from anyone from the team. They are all out and about on holidays posting things on Facebook but no one is paying me my £2000 back. I'm a single mother and carer of my disabled 6 year old son. I'm unemployed but wanted to make start back into the insdustry after a long time off. I borrowed the money to invest in something that was going to give me exposure I needed to start back up. But this is what's happened. I feel like I've been mugged in broad day light! They have breached there written and verbal agreement. Is there anything I can do because I've had enough of people like that treating us like we are nothing and have no value. Please help.
Expert:  Jenny replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Does the written agreement specify the the number of make up artists and the there would be artist?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes it states 'work along side another makeup artist' and to 'work under official head makeup artist.
Expert:  Jenny replied 9 months ago.
They are clearly in breach of contract by failing to act in accordance with the contract. If they have agreed a £2000 refund then this should be paid. You need to send them a letter before action setting out their breaches of contract and that they have agreed a £2000 refund. You should ask them to pay this and say if they do not then you will bring a claim in breach of contract to recover your losses. You should give them 7 days to pay. You can then lodge a claim against them at www.moneyclaim.gov.ukPlease do let me know if you have any further questions. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 9 months ago.
Hello Noreen, is there anything further you would like to know as I note that you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi sorry I got bit busy. I wanted to also know roughly if they don't pay out the refund and I have to do the claim, estimate let how much would it cost to start the process.
Expert:  Jenny replied 9 months ago.
Hi sorry for the delay I have been off line. You would need to pay a court issue fee of £105 if you issue online. If you represent yourself there would be no further cost to you in dealing with the matter. If you have any further questions please do ask, otherwise I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.