31090051

Good afternoon. I am a seafarer who spends approximately

Good afternoon.
I am a seafarer who spends approximately 6 months at home. I was divorced in August 2015...separated since 2013.
My ex wife and myself had purchased a dog together in 2006.
It had been agreed to share the dog, albeit verbally, and was not part of the divorce settlement. This was more or less accepted and carried out. I would get him for periods of time while at home and then return him. However, since January 9th 2016 she has refused point blankly to hand him over.
I have tried all avenues including asking my sons to petition her....but no success.
What other options are there to see my dog...if any?
Kind regards,
Stuart M Brown
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. A dog is always a difficult issue because emotions are involved. The law is, however, that a dog is deemed to be property and not a person. If the dog wasn't dealt with in the division of property in the divorce then the legal position is that the dog is still joint property.

You could raise court action so as to get an order to declare the dog as joint property and to have shared possession. Most judges would tell you to go and sort it out yourselves, however, so perhaps the threat of court action would suffice to you here. Happy to discuss further.

Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It really doesn't matter whether you paid or not.

The issue is their intention at the time that the products were taken.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry. That answer was meant for another post.

I did not mean to respond to this and will opt out.