12826847

A friend of mine has been charged with voyeurism... He will

Customer Question

A friend of mine has been charged with voyeurism... He will appear in court soon what are the implications if he is found guilty
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What are the circumstances?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whilst working as a cleaner he attempted to use a phone to video under the booth door of a changing room
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
When you say attempted, I presume he didn't manage to record anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did but it was not a clear recording and did not reveal anything. He had been incredibly stupid .. He then wiped the recording which was about 15 secs
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Does he have any previous?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,nothing
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.There are some sentencing guidelines for voyeurism but they are quite indistinct. This is probably going to fall into category two though. There are several aggravating features that I can see immediately but not enough to get into the higher guidelines.The middle bracket would include a community order. Probably on a first offence it would be a community order.It will lead to addition upon the sexual offenders register I'm afraid.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sexual offenders register was something we were hoping to avoid.. It was such a stupid thing to do We don't know if they were able to pick up the recording which was deleted immediately but the SIM card was taken away for recovery of the recording. We have not been told if they found anything or this was just on the evidence of the victim can they charge him without evidence?. As he earns VERY little money ( around 150£ a week) is legal aid possible? Also his english is not good enough to stand up in court alone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there with me please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wrote my last note to you at 9.38... Are you there still please ? Or I will have to go
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There isn't any way around the sexual offenders register I'm afraid. If this remains a voyeurism then that is inevitable.Legal aid will be granted although he may have to subsidise it.