12826847

I recently bought a watch on-line from a reputable company

Hi!
I recently bought a watch on-line from a reputable company via its UK subsidiary. It was shipped to me from Switzerland, and arrived via courier a few days later. On close inspection of the watch I discovered that the sweep hand (seconds) of the timer did not reset to 12 o'clock as it should have. It was "defective". I notified the UK company who were quite surprised but polite. I should return it to them for inspection and repair. I would have to pay them another £12 to return it to me afterwards, but only by credit card. No other form of payment was acceptable (cheque, postal order etc).
The watch has in no way been fiddled with, dropped, or opened. I don't have the necessary watchmakers tools to do so even if I wanted. It is covered by a 2-year warranty. It was bought via Visa credit card.
I can't think this is right, having already paid over £400 for the watch, that I should have to pay all the delivery charges as well. Perhaps I am protected by my consumer rights?
I would be most grateful for your advice. Thank you!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What do they say was the cause of the fault?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have not commented until they have seen the problem and investigated it for themselves. I think that they are ethically bound to correct the problem, with THEM paying for the return delivery back to me!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The defect should have been picked up by the factory's Q&A (Quality Control) people, or at least those responsible for packing the item. Made in Switzerland - should've bought a cuckoo clock instead!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If there genuinely is a defect then they should bear the cost including postage. There is no real debate over that.The question is how to enforce it. It is really not worth suing over £12. You could ask the credit card company to reclaim it I suppose. The might not agree.You can always complain. That often achieves far more than suing would.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo