13262538

My grandma left a house intestate , my mum was given a grant

My grandma left a house intestate , my mum was given a grant of representation regrading her estate but never changed the deeds or land registry name so they remain in my grandma's name.
My mum has since died , who is entitled to the property now? Mums husband who she was separated from or her children? ( mum has left no estate - she has left only debts . She didn't leave a will )
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWas your Mother an only child?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes she was
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I knocked the live chat off by accident just then
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much is the house worth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx £75,000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checking someone's going to pick this up as Clare never finished answering my question
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delayI am afraid that the news is not good.Ownership of the property passed to your mother even though the paperwork was not completedOn her death is passed into her Estate and since she left no Will the first £250,000 of her assets go to her husband, despite the separation.I am sorry but the house now belongs to her husband.Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah , ok thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one more thing; I have already applied for letters of administration for my grandmas estate (only the house left) and my application is going through- am I still allowed to do this to sell the house to pay my mums debts off ? I explained the circumstances on the application.
I don't want to be breaking the law in anyway
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Yes that would be the correct way forward.Her husband is entitled to any balance there might be
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I be allowed to pay for a headstone for my mum out of any money left before I gave him the balance?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Yes that would be acceptable - Funeral costs come first!