13262538

When my mother was alive she opened an account in our joint

Customer Question

When my mother was alive she opened an account in our joint names, her son and me for the expenses of her funeral to be dealt with. Now she is dead, the executor's solicitors are asking for me to sign for the release of the funds. I have excluded from the will so do not want to sign. Can they access the funds without my signature?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstis her son a signatory on the account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes he and he is now the sole executor apparently.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Did you all have to sign to remove funds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. The solicitors acting for the Executor said the funds were held on trust by me and my brother for her estate.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
The solicitors are correct and the money does belong to the EstateIf it is possible to deal with the account on one signature then your brother can remove the funds.However if not then the Estate can take court action against you to recover the fundsPlease ask if you need further detailsClare