LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

We have a rising damp problem, it has taken four years for

Customer Question

We have a rising damp problem, it has taken four years for the HA to admit this during this time the damp has got into my wardrobe and destroyed several blouses, to sort out this problem they are carrying out a DPC injection and they need to wash the spores from behind my wardrobe. I am informed it is my responsibility to move this wardrobe and therefore responsible for any damage - could this really be right after all the wardrobes would not have been damaged if they had not taken so long in sorting out the problem?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. Assuming that you are a tenant of the HA any damage caused by the structural damp is the HA's fault and it is there responsibility to do works to fix it, this would include moving furniture etc. If yo have had to put up with rising damp for 4 years and the HA have had notice, you will be entitled to compensation for this well in excess of the replacement value of a few blouses.
Is there any more information you would like?