13262538

My dad has received a petition . My mother wants

My dad has received a petition for divorce. My mother wants to sever the joint tenancy at the matrimonial home and have asked him to sign a Notice of Severance. He has until 11 March to do so then they will file an application to sever the joint tenancy at the Land Registry. Can they sever the tenancy without my dad's signature?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you In fact the Severance has already happened - and did so the minute your father saw the noticeAll that remains is for it to be Registered at the Land RegistryPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So does that mean that his name has been taken off the house. He has not signed any papers.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Your father still owns his share of the property - all that the severance means is that if your mother dies tomorrow your father will not automatically get her half of the houseEqually if he dies your mother will not automatically get his half either